Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Can anyone name the bird

Bob,
Millie and I were just finishing lunch today when she looked out and spotted this 
bird in the tree in our back yard.
I am not a bird watcher so I haven't a clue as to what it is.
I just know that it was BIG.
It was the size of an Owl but with the head and face of an Eagle or a Hawk.
It is the biggest ones I have ever seen around here.
Does anyone have a clue what it is?
Sorry about the quality of the pictures but I took them thru our upstairs window for fear of scaring it.
If you notice in Photo BigBird2A there is a squirrel in the tree next to the bird.
The little guy eventually made so much noise that it chased the bird away.... 
Maybe someone on the Park Blog can identify it.

Ralph
 



 

1 comment:

  1. It's a hawk, Ralph. Could be a Cooper's or a Northern Goshawk or a number of others.
    You may find it hangs around if it likes the habitat. You may get another chance to photograph it from the front. The Cornell University bird site is helpful with identification using photographs for comparison. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/coopers_hawk/id
    Cheers EdB.

    ReplyDelete