Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

There is a psychotic in the PMO and his name is Steve

When a government uses taxpayer funded resources to spy on its own citizens so that they can gain a political advantage and undermine the citizens efforts to legally protest inequalities and oppression from their elected officials we have entered into a dangerous period in our history.

Our democracy and rights to legal assembly and protest are under attack from a fascist government


The government spied on me without a warrant

Earlier this month Canadians joined with the international community to honour the sacrifice made by Second World War veterans to preserve our freedom. At the same time, headlines in Canadian newspapers warned of government surveillance of citizens engaged in peaceful protests. It made me wonder — why would we allow our own government to trample on the freedoms that many Canadians died protecting?
 
Until it happened to me I thought domestic government surveillance could only be carried out with a warrant. In my case there was no warrant and yet in 2011, I received hundreds of pages of government documents revealing that 189 federal government officials from the departments of Justice and Aboriginal Affairs were routinely spying on my personal Facebook page, collecting information about my family, friends and me, and distributing it to other government officials.
 
They even collected Facebook addresses of other users and circulated postings made by children, without the consent of their parents. My domestic and international movements were monitored and my personal and private government records were accessed. Government email correspondence suggested the surveillance was undertaken to try to prove I had “other motives” for filing a historic human rights case in 2007 alleging the federal government’s provision of First Nations child welfare was discriminatory.
 
I was stunned and afraid — it felt like I was being stalked. I remember thinking this cannot possibly be legal, but I had no idea where to file a report about the Canadian departments of Justice and Aboriginal Affairs, and what would happen to me and the people I cared about if I did report it?

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2014/06/21/the_government_spied_on_me_without_a_warrant.html

 

No comments:

Post a Comment