Total Pageviews

Monday, May 21, 2012

More Liberal Ideas From the Conservatives

Federal study suggests relocating EI recipients to regions with labour needs

A LIBERAL idea from the 1970's

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/federal-study-suggests-relocating-ei-recipients-regions-labour-080007055.html

In 1973 when I was laid off from what was then Northern Electric there was a relocation program available to all Canadians. Of course that was a Liberal idea that the Conservatives said was a waste.

The Package:

- Travel expenses for interviews paid by UIC, including transportation, motel and meals
- moving expenses paid by UIC
- moving expenses
- getting to know people incentive of 1000 dollars per adult and 500 dollars per child

My advisor at Employment Canada, believe it or not, was Rene Leveque .... no not THE Rene .... but a terrific fellow who bent over backwards to work with me rather than against me.

To qualify one had to be declared unemployable in the region. The package for my family at that time exceeded 5000 dollars.... nothing to sneeze at however we decided to remain in Quebec....Mr. Leveque would call me with a job opportunity and explain the salary offer, location and then tell me that it was not worthwhile as my expenses would out weight the value of the position. He did locate a position for me in a more convenient area in St. Constant closer to my home which I accepted.

You have to understand that for some people the combination of lower salary and travel expense CAN mean personal bankruptcy ..... at times it is more frugal to collect UI and stay at home than to accept a mediocre job and go TITS UP.



THAT ASSHOLES IS THE REALITY OF LIFE IN THE REAL WORLD

No comments:

Post a Comment