Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Words you don’t hear anymore

I’ve heard most of these at one time or another in my life.  There are a couple that I’m unfamiliar with.  Enjoy these lines from the thrilling days of yesteryear.
  • Be sure to refill the ice trays, we’re going to have company.
  • Watch for the postman, I want to get this letter to Willie in the mail today.
  • Quit slamming the screen door when you go out!
  • Be sure and pull the windows down when you leave, it looks like a shower is coming up.
  • Don’t forget to wind the clock before you go to bed.
  • Wash your feet before you go to bed, you’ve been playing outside all day barefooted.
  • Why can’t you remember to roll up your britches legs? Getting them caught in the bicycle chain so many times is tearing them up.
  • You have torn the knees out of that pair of pants so many times there is nothing left to put a patch on.
  • Don’t you go outside with your school clothes on!
  • Go comb your hair, it looks like the rats have nested in it all night.
  •  Be sure and pour the cream off the top of the milk when you open the new bottle. 
  • Take that empty bottle to the store with you so you won’t have to pay a deposit on another one.
  • Put a dish towel over the cake so the flies won’t get on it.
  • Quit jumping on the floor! I have a cake in the oven and you are going to make it fall if you don’t quit!
  • Let me know when the Fuller Brush man comes by, I need to get a few things from him.
  • You boys stay close by, the car may not start and I will need you to help push it off. 
  • There’s a dollar in my purse, get 5 gallons of gas when you go to town.
  • Open the back door and see if we can get a breeze through here, it is getting hot.
  • You can walk to the store; it won’t hurt you to get some exercise.
  • Don’t sit too close to the TV. It is hard on your eyes.
  • If you pull that stunt again, I am going to wear you out!
  • Don’t lose that button; I’ll sew it back on after a while.
  • Wash under your neck before you come to the table, you have beads of dirt and sweat all under there.
  • Get out from under the sewing machine; pumping it messes up the thread!
  • Be sure and fill the lamps this morning so we don’t have to do that tonight in the dark.
  • Here, take this old magazine to the toilet with you when you go, we are almost out of paper out there.
  • Go out to the well and draw a bucket of water so I can wash dishes.
  • Don’t turn the radio on now, I want the battery to be up when the Grand Ole Opry comes on.
  • No! I don’t have 10 cents for you to go to the show. Do you think money grows on trees?
  • Eat those turnips, they’ll make you big and strong like your daddy.
  • That dog is NOT coming in this house! I don’t care how cold it is out there, dogs don’t stay in the house.
  • Sit still! I’m trying to get your hair cut straight and you keep moving and it is all messed up.
  • Hush your mouth! I don’t want to hear words like that! I’ll wash your mouth out with soap!
  • It is time for your system to be cleaned out. I am going to give you a dose of castor oil tonight.
  • If you get a spanking in school and I find out about it, you’ll get another one when you get home.
  • Quit crossing your eyes! They will get stuck that way!
  • Soak your foot in this pan of kerosene so that bad cut won’t get infected.
  • When you take your driving test, don’t forget to signal each turn.
  • Left arm straight out the window for a left turn;; left arm bent up at the elbow for a right turn; and straight down to the side of the door when you are going to stop.
  • It’s: ‘Yes Ma’am!’ and ‘No Ma’am!’ to me, young man, and don’t you forget it!
  • Be sure and wash good behind your ears. There is enough dirt there you could grow corn in it.
Thanks Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment