Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Descendants of Basile Piche and Pierre Piche - a pieceof French Protestants history in Quebec



Basile Piche, my great great great grandfather, converted to Protestantism in 1850. He and several of his family did missionary work throughout rural Quebec. They built churches and boarding schools where they spread the word of Jesus Christ.

In the early 1900's they and their churches were absorbed into the Baptist, Presbyterian and United Churches.

The family of Pierre Piche and the families they married into


The church in Belle Riviere Quebec where Mirabel airport was built. The church and cemetery were saved by the society and relocated to a historic site. 

My great grandmother Constance Sincenne - Piche seated in chair

I remember what a disturbing time it was for my grandmother and grand aunts knowing that their father and mothers grave would be desecrated by the move.

Eglise de Masham



Located at the corner of Wellington Street and River Avenue Bethanie Presbyterian Church in Verdun where many of my relatives and ancestors prayed and where I was baptized. I have many fond memories of my father singing in the choir, playing Santa at Christmas and of the minister collapsing with a heart attack every once in a while. Bethanie later became a United church.

It is sad to see how the church, with its history, has fallen into disrepair.

A special thank you to Ivan R. for going out of his way to take pictures of Bethanie for me.





My grandmother, Jeanne Piche married Arthur Taylor, and together they lived across the street from Bethanie Presbyterian/United Church until they moved to Three Hills, Alberta in 1919.


My birth certificate. As you can see I was born at Women's General Hospital in Montreal which I think was a part of Reddy Memorial Hospital at the time.


 The Church from Belle Riviere Quebec at its historic location. My cousin Pierre Demole (son of Yvonne Piche) and his wife at left and My Uncle Herbert ( son of Jeanne Piche) and wife at right.
 The entrance to the site.

Grave site of my great great grandfather Pierre Piche

The woman standing behind is my grand aunt Yvonne Piche

Death notice of my great great grandfather Pierre Piche

Obituary of Constance Sincenne

Back L - my mother Frances and her mother Jeanne Piche Taylor
Front - me, great grandma Constance Sincenne Piche and my sister Rosalyn

Below is a paper from the Point Aux Tremble Missionary School dated May 1, 1919 that was sent home with students.

For those who wish to read the paper please put your cursor on the paper and left click on your mouse. The paper page will enlarge, to go back to the blog put your cursor on the "back arrow' at the top left of the page and left click.






Staff and students of Point Aux tremble Missionary School

Following is a story once told to Yvonne Piche - Demole the daughter of Pierre Piche and Constance Sincenne



I have many more photos and names, if anyone is interested or has something they wish to contribute please contact me via email a 

hawkins underscore bobby at yahoo dot ca

No comments:

Post a Comment