Total Pageviews

Friday, August 19, 2011

I Found The Real Father Bob

Father Marc Migneault

Most of my readers know the story of Father Bob however for those new readers I will repeat myself.

Sometime in 1992 as I headed home on the QEW the traffic was backed up solid as usual. Since the wife was working that evening I decided to pull off the highway and have supper at a local restaurant.

Since it was the supper hour patrons were a different crowd than I was used to. I had the small steak dinner and a beer. Upon finishing my meal I asked the waitress for my bill. She placed the bill on the table and then put a second beer in front of me, I said "I'm sorry but I didn't order this" she said 'I know, its from the gentleman behind you".

I looked at her quizzically then turned and waved thank you to the fellow sitting against the wall with his family. I didn't know him and wondered why he would send me a drink. Suddenly an elderly gentleman wander up to my table and started a conversation. It was obvious that he was somewhat inebriated. As we talked I realized he thought I was a local Priest. I tried in vain to tell him I was Protestant but he persisted and said "It's OK Father we don't mind if you have a beer"

as the conversation turned to my blessing them I thought "this is foolish, what will I do'??? I hurried and paid my bill and as I tried to leave discretely the old boy caught me and insisted I bless their table.... so I did what any good Protestant Catholic would do.... I blessed them.

Now my sister is/was Catholic (longer story) she has since passed away.

When I arrived at the car I was near tears with laughter, I called Roz and explained what had just transpired, the two of us giggled like school kids. Of course Roz told Father Marc the story. Some two or three weeks later on a business trip to Montreal I stopped by St. Mary's to pick up Roz as I opened the door to the sanctuary Marc was at the alter, he turns, sees me and spreads his arms wide and says in his loud booming voice "Father Bob".

Over the years Fr. Marc and I have played silly jokes on one another. Below is the postcard he and Roz sent while on their visit to the Vatican.....








Father Bob and Rabbi Robert
my twin brothers

Here is the link to the real Father Bob's site http://stlukesparish.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment