Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 3, 2019

The Legend of Father Bob by Robert Hawkins


I grew up in Quebec the son of religious tolerant parents. Dad was a French Catholic while mom was an evangelical French Protestant. My sister Rosalyn had been baptized Catholic prior to her mother passing away and Dad marrying mom, I was baptized Protestant…. Now on with the story of Father Bob.

Now living in Ontario since the mid 80’s I was on my way home one evening, traffic was horrendous on the QEW as usual. Since the wife was working that evening I decided to stop for supper at my favourite watering hole. I ordered a beer and a t-bone dinner. My intent was to have only one beer, kill time and then head home.

I requested the bill and prepared to leave when the waitress brought me a second beer, confused I told her I hadn’t ordered the beer, she indicated it was from a gentleman behind me. Feeling awkward I looked back waved an acknowledgement but still felt strange…. Until a gentleman in his 70’s approached my table somewhat inebriated, I realized that he and others had mistaken me for a local Priest. The more I insisted I was Protestant the more he said “It’s OK Father, we don’t mind if you have a beer”.

I finally got up to leave and as I passed the old boys table he asked me to bless them….. what the heck…. I blessed them all, went to my car, killing myself laughing I called Rosalyn on the car phone, we giggled and joked like little kids.

Rosalyn worked for the South Shore Diocese and a few weeks later I went to Montreal on business I stopped by her office and was told she was in the sanctuary, as I opened the front doors of the church Father Marc was at the altar addressing a group of ladies…. When he saw me he spread his arms wide and in that marvelous booming voice said, “FATHER BOB” …. And a Protestant Priest was born.

A few weeks later Rosalyn and Marc made a pilgrimage to the Vatican (John Paul was Pope) and this postcard arrived at our house….




No comments:

Post a Comment