Total Pageviews

Friday, September 23, 2011

Teel - Hawkins Wedding - Cowansville and Bromont QC

Pat and I were married on September 2nd 1967 at the Cowansville United church. It was a beautiful clear day. The wedding went very well, after the picture taking the wedding party and guests headed up to the lodge at Bromont ski resort. Ours was to be the final public reception at the lodge since Dupuis Freres had purchased it as a private club for their employees.


Tip and Adele Teel had outdone themselves. The location was magnificent. The buffet (of which no one took a photo) was incredible and the views, out the window behind the head table, were spectacular.


We toasted, we kissed and we danced the night away.... and then it was time for us to leave for the honeymoon. I had left my brother-in-law Dave Snyder in charge of my car so that my crazy relatives would not decorate it. WRONG.


Dave had pulled the car up close to the stairs at the lodge. As we came down the stairs I noticed that some fools had moved two trees, in planters, up against the doors of the car. Aw, not bad. No writing on it so if that's all they did, so what. Really Bob were you that silly.


They moved the planters for us and as I got in I noticed that anything that could have something hanging on... did have something hanging on it.... prophylactics ...... yes folks those rubber boots intended to prevent early pregnancy.

That was fine, but as I started to roll forward there was rattling in the hubcaps. No tin cans, just stones in the caps. Pat and I were tired, it was after 10 PM and all we wanted to do was find a room in the States and crash. So I left them there.

As we arrived at US customs the stones became louder and the officer suggested I pull over and remove them, so I did and off we went in search of a hotele/motel. Ha! We had forgotten that it was Labor Day in the US as well. Not a room was to be had. We decided to deadhead all the way to the Cove Haven Resort in the Poconos. Suddenly in the middle of nowhere USA was a sign "Vacancy". We decided to try. Off we went down this lonely deserted back road when there in front of us appeared this lodge. A spooky looking place. I went in and the man at the desk said "Yup I have one room left, it's not the attic but" ..... Oh Boy! Let's try. I grab our bag and off we go up to the second floor, then down the hallway... suddenly he disappears into the wall ahead of us. As I get to the spot we find a narrow steep stair leading to what was not supposed to be the attic... right. At the top of the stair is a gate so folks don't get up and fall down the stairs.


Our room... it will do.... one bed is against the wall while the other is pushed into the gabled window. Only way in is over the foot board. So we use the one single bed against the wall.


The next day we stop for gas in Vergennes Vermont. The old boy fills up the Comet and checks the oil, mumbles something and walks away after I pay him. Later that day we stop on the Pennsylvania turnpike.... "Fill it up and check the oil" I tell the young fellow. He goes to the back and puts the hose on automatic then lifts the hood, stares for a bit then comes to my window and says "I think someone is playing a joke on you sir" .... Oh Gawd! What did my idiot cousins do now????


Under the hood were all these prophylactics... on the oil cap, the radiator cap, dipstick whatever could have something hanging from it .... did have something hanging from it, even the gas cap.... but to top it off they had put the empty packages on the shock towers.... they read in large letters..... FREE SAFES


The old boy back in Vergennes had taken them off ... filled the car, checked the oil and put them back on.......... what a guy

No comments:

Post a Comment