Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Greenfield Park Corner

Hi Bob,(1) Hopefully Normand can verify but I think  the candy store photo on your Monday blog  is the Cunningham store which was located on the north side of Churchill Blvd halfway between Devonshire and Murray. Like most stores of that vintage( 1940s-1950s) the store was in the front of the building and the family lived in the back or upstairs.In the late 40s my brother Jim and I were taken to the Pentecostal Church at the Corner of Murray and Churchill, by neighbours ,because my parents were not church-goers, and Jim and I would be given collection money for the church  and a couple of pennies maybe a nickel togo to Cunninghams after Church.  I happen to agree with your response to Ralph re Theresa Spence,especially since it has been revealed that during her tenure the band finances audited reports were approved by Federal Gov't officials at Aboriginal Affairs. Finally I have attached some old newspaper clippings from 1924 and 1936 which my son ,an electrician, discovered in the walls of an old house that they were renovating. Obviously insulation from an older time. I am sure some of your subscribers will remember the "Our Boarding House" cartoons with Major Hoople, I do. JMcC

Thanks John McC










The photo John has requested confirmation from Normand on......


1 comment:

  1. IT IS SMITH STORE ON SPRINGFIELD END OF MAPLE, IT OPENED IN 1946, I WILL SEND A PHOTO OF LUMINA ROUSSEAU SMITH ON THE STEP OF THE STORE IN 1949. SHE IS STILL ALIVE SHE WILL BE 100 IN APRIL 2014.

    ReplyDelete